The Manager of Compensation is accountable for assisting with managing compensation and salary administration programs at the MTA. This would include planning, designing, implementing and maintaining a full range of compensation services following established and newly created guidelines
- Manage the implementation of compensation programs for the MTA.
- Establishing and managing goals and priorities.
- Perform job analysis. Make recommendations and establish appropriate position evaluation via Hay point analysis process and appropriate salary ranges/rates of pay.
- Responsible for job description development, evaluations, and related compensation issues and data.
- Perform detailed compensation analysis and create and maintain compensation reports and queries.
- Audit and correct compensation and related employment records in accordance with the MTA compensation structures, civil service law and legal mandate.
- Assist with the review, research, and HRIS data update implementations of organization structures and requests for organization changes/developments/re-organizations and Collective Bargaining implementations.
- Prepare and respond to employee data requests and participate in surveys.
Administer and determine salaries and/or hourly rates of new hires and internal promotions.
- Determine exemption status to ensure compliance with legal regulations.
Perform special projects, as needed.
- Assist in the development of compensation policy and administer special compensation plans and procedures as required.
- Manage compensation activity, providing consultative services to managers on individual salary treatment, policies and procedures ensuring agency-wide consistency and efficiency. When necessary, provide and facilitate training session on compensation policy and activities.
- Manages short and long-term projects in a variety of capacities, including the administration of compensation programs.
- Monitor compensation trends, issues and develop appropriate programs to address issues or potential issues, making recommendations and changes to salary policy and administrative procedures.
- Assist with the selection, development and motivation of personnel within the department.
- Provide career development and effective coaching for subordinates.
Responsible for the performance management of staff. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Must be able to foster a positive employee relations climate that is aligned with MTA principles, policies and programs consistently.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have a strong ability to make judgments and take action according to established policies.
- Will need to be able to evaluate and make recommendations for major changes in organization programs.
- Must be a self-starter and pro-active in work assignments and workflow. The ability to work on multiple projects is essential as is the ability to prioritize such projects.
- This position requires a complete and thorough understanding of Human Resources practices to assess the implications of various compensation policies on the business.
- Partner with agency business units and People team members across agencies to streamline processes and facilitate change.
- Determine appropriate compensation recommendations for newly hired/promoted employees.
- Determine appropriate level of knowledge, skills, abilities, education and experience necessary for all positions and recommend appropriate job worth/hay point evaluations.
- Analyze and develop recommendations for policy changes as needed. Review and propose recommendation for organization restructures and revisions.
- Be able to be decisive regarding selection and performance evaluations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business or related field or an equivalent combination of education from an accredited college and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- A minimum of five years of strong, broad-based compensation experience which includes, but is not limited to, experience in administering compensation programs including performing salary surveys, job evaluation/classification, determining FLSA status, internal analysis, developing job descriptions and designing organizational structures. Working knowledge of HRIS, preferably PeopleSoft, or a comparable system.
- Proficiency in Excel; which includes Pivot tables, working with formulas, and VLOOKUP preferred.
- Must possess knowledge of relevant federal and state wage and salary laws and regulations.
- Must possess proven, effective leadership, management, problem solving, planning, organizing, decision making skills with a creative ability to identify and resolve related issues and find solutions as well as establishing preventative measures for future occurrence; analytical and
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively in a team environment and with all levels of management.
- Must possess the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- Effective communication, human relations, presentation, coordination and negotiating skills. Must be able to handle multiple, diverse activities simultaneously.
- Proven ability to build effective partnership relationships with department heads and managers, establish strategic direction/change, and to effectively influence and mediate issues.
- HRCI Certification and World at Work Compensation Certification, desirable.
- Knowledge of the Hay job classification system, strongly preferred.
As an employee of MTA Headquarters, you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $101,379 (this figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
How To Apply
Qualified employees can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities. The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.