MTA Headquarters is searching for a Director Tax Favored Programs.
Formulate strategy and set the direction for all tax favored benefit programs for the MTA including the deferred compensation programs (i.e., 401(k) and 457 plans), commuter benefit program, and flexible spending programs. This will include the management and maintenance of the programs, ensuring current programs are compliant with applicable policies, laws, and regulations, and that the programs continue to meet the needs of the organization and MTA staff. The Director will assess the impact of current programs and propose new programs as appropriate to maintain competitiveness and enhance the ability of the organization to attract, retain and motivate staff. Manages a team of professionals that work closely with the agencies to ensure the programs are administered properly and communicated effectively to all MTA staff.
- Serves as the senior most functional expert in tax favored benefits at the MTA. As such, the incumbent must ensure that the MTA is compliant with all policies, laws and regulations, and propose changes to tax deferred plans to ensure compliance and alignment with marketplace best practices.
- Conducts regular analyses of workforce demographics, industry trends, retirement and benefit plans and other relevant benefits data to identify key areas of focus for MTA, changes required to existing programs, and the introduction of new benefits programs required to maintain market competitiveness.
- Leads the design and development on new tax favored benefit programs, engaging appropriate MTA and Agency staff and making recommendations on design to senior management for adoption.
- Evaluates existing and proposed benefits vendor products and tools for alignment with benefits and strategies and for cost effectiveness.
- Prepares periodic regular and ad hoc reports on the effectiveness of benefits programs to ensure they continue to achieve strategic HR and MTA objectives.
- Works closely with the agencies to ensure that current programs are administered effectively and efficiently. Develops and disseminates any changes to policies and procedures associated with any changes to benefit programs or any new benefits and ensure they are implemented effectively.
- Works closely with vendors to develop and execute communication strategies that leverage MTA benefits.
- Interacts with auditors and consultants to discuss audit issues and ensure ongoing compliance.
- Manages vendor relationships as appropriate.
- Selects, trains, supervises, and directs the work of employees and consistently applies policies and procedures in an equitable manner. Provides on-going performance management guidance, including progressive discipline when necessary. Responsible for enhancing employee performance through establishing and communicating clear expectations and evaluating performance in a fair and professional manner.
- Excellent consulting, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Experience with vendor management and complex contract negotiations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of benefits program design and management.
- Strong working knowledge of laws and regulations relevant to benefit programs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage plans.
- Proven ability to build trust and report, as well as influence at all levels of the organization.
- Highly organized, self-motivated, and able to work independently as well as manage a team.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills at all levels of the organization.
- Strong business acumen.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all internal levels within a given organization.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact well with external agencies. External agencies may include the New York State Deferred Compensation Plan management and New York City Deferred Compensation Plan Management.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high profile, high pressure environment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with key internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Must have strong managerial skills to effectively direct a staff of professional and technical employees in implementing the short- and long-term goals and direction for the area of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to complete short- and long-term projects effectively and as efficiently as possible.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities and quantitative skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or comparable applications, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Transportation, Public Policy or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education from an accredited college and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum 10 years of related experience, including at least 5 years in a department head or leadership role in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body preferred.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Experience in public sector or other quasi-public sector experience preferred.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s operations, policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with the collective bargaining procedures.
Compensation: Min.: $111,039 Mid.: $138,799 and a comprehensive Benefits Program.
How To Apply: Go to the MTA Employment Portal at: https://new.mta.info/careers and click on: See all open MTA positions.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities. The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.