Reporting to the Deputy Chief Compensation and Benefits Officer this position is responsible to provide leadership, insight, conceptualization of strategy and direction to the MTA’s Benefits team. Ensures the MTA’s benefits strategy is
aligned with the MTA’s people objectives, business objectives and financial plan, offering plans and plan designs that are progressive and competitive with the market. Develops and manages cost control procedures and protocols to assure cost containment at most reasonable cost to the MTA and our employees. Oversees the administration and overall benefits philosophy, as well as the end-to-end employee benefits experience. Works with consultants, Labor Relations and senior leadership to identify proposals for collective bargaining.
- Designs and implements an MTA benefits and governance framework, considering each agency’s needs and collective bargaining agreements; builds processes and protocols to manage benefits in accordance with that framework while working towards standardization of all MTA benefit plans and policies.
- Develops the concepts, strategies and recommendations to improve overall operational efficiency, minimizing risk,maximizing effectiveness and ensuring cost containment of the MTA’s health and welfare benefit programs. -
- Develops and/or assists in the design and implementation of MTA’s functional requirements for an in-house, or out-sourced technology solution providing the MTA with a state-of-the-art platform to fuel data driven benefit and total reward recommendations and decision making aligned with the MTA’s business and transformation goals.
- Acts as Plan Administrator for all employee benefits programs. Leads a team to operationally execute the MTA’s benefit programs including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, life, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), commuter benefits, voluntary deferred compensation/retirement plans, pension plans, any voluntary and supplemental mandated benefits, onsite and remote wellness programming and COBRA.
- Responsible for the management, costing, contract negotiations, rate renewals and communication of health and welfare programs covering all MTA employees and retirees.
- Responsible for all aspects of a Wellness program including development, implementation and management designed to improve the health status of members employees and their dependents.
- Manage various procurements with values of over $20 billion and delivering annual savings of up to $40 Million (e.g, prescription drugs plans, medical plans, DEVA).
- Works closely with HR Business Partners, Deputy Chief and Chief People Officer to plan, direct, coordinate and communicate company-wide benefit programs including health and welfare, retirement, deferred compensation and wellness plans. Develops and implements innovative programs through employee input and utilization analysis, as well as interaction with consultants, insurers, brokers, and/or third- party administrators.
- Ensures the end-to-end employee benefits experience is highly effective, efficient, user friendly and responsive to meet the full life cycle of employee and retirees needs and expectations.
- Leads the MTA’s benefit renewal and/or RFP process working closely with the People, Procurement, Finance, and Legal teams.
- Responsible for overseeing and managing benefit vendor and consultant relationships as well as vendor performance to ensure the function sufficiently supports the MTA now, and in the future state, Takes appropriate action to improve vendor and/or consultant performance as needed, including managing the contracts and executing all contract provisions to ensure the MTA’s benefit programs remain competitive.
- In partnership with internal stakeholders develops agency cost information for new plans or plan design modifications.
- Keeps informed of benefit and insurance market activities and industry trends.
- Looks for innovations to enhance MTA’s offerings, new product information, legislation, coverages and technology to continuously improve knowledge and MTA performance.
- Ensures the MTA’s compliance and legal adherence to regulatory requirements.
- Ensures all reporting, vendor audits and utilizations audits are completed timely, including review of any recommendations for action to be taken to mitigate risk.
- Develops the strategies and tactics to address vulnerabilities.
- Develops and oversees annual total rewards benchmarking initiatives; develops recommendations and proposals, potential implementation plans including an employee communication plans.
- Ensures the MTA maintains up-to-date benefit information and policies on internal communications resources, and develop new communication materials, strategies and project plans to enhance employees’ understanding of benefits offerings.
- Ensures all Benefit Plan Administration and Benefits Operations including Open Enrollment processes are administered in compliance with the overall strategy and direction of the MTA Benefits Administration program.
- Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review performance of staff. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Industry knowledge of and a proven track record of benefits planning, design and development.
- In-depth knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations and plans (Medicare, Medicaid, CMS and DOL), filing and compliance requirements both adopted and pending legislation affecting benefit plans.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with employees and managers at all levels.
- Proven ability to create and execute human resource strategies and plans in support of the business goals.
- Strong business partnering skills.
- Ability to deliver employee communications needs for benefit plans.
- Proven track record of effectively employing tactics and strategies to manage health care costs.
- Ability to lead end-to-end project delivery including: initiating strategic discussions, establishing an action plan, creating and analyzing reporting materials, coordinating the team (internal and external) to respond to inquiries and issues.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact well with external agencies. External agencies may include the Governor’s Office for New York State, New York City government, elected and other public officials, as well as any staff located at other federal or state agencies or authorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high profile, high pressure environment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with key internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Must have strong managerial skills to effectively direct a staff of professional and technical employees in implementing the short- and long-term goals and direction for the area(s) of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to complete short- and long-term projects effectively and as efficiently as possible.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities and quantitative skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or a related field.
- Minimum 10 years related experience, including at least 5 years in a department head or leadership role in a large, multifaceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body preferred.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s collective bargaining procedures.
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft and HRIS systems as it relates to benefit programs.
- Other Information: As an employee of MTA Headquarters, you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $101,379 (this figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
How To Apply
- Qualified employees can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
- For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs On
Line" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.